Monday, January 27, 2014

A Weekend For the Books

Ni Hao!

See, I'm already fluent! Ok, you got me... I'm really not... but I can count to 10 and ask how much things cost, and that's good enough for me!

So, the past few days have been pretty fantastic. On Saturday we went on a hike to a beautiful pagoda. It's at the top of a hill in this cute park.

The view from the bottom...


And the view from the top!




After we hiked to the top and came back down, we realized just how big the park was. There was a rose garden, a field, a lotus pond, carnival rides, a koi pond with paddleboats, and a zoo. It was huge! After we rode the teacup ride and hung out by the koi pond, we got a little lost, but we eventually we found our way back to the main road. 

After that, we took a bus to Nanlang for some amazing street barbecue! I had chicken and pork (I think) and it was grilled and seasoned to perfection. SO good, and definitely worth the 9 yuan (about $1.50) I spent on dinner.

Not the best picture, but you get the idea.


Sunday was a much-needed day of relaxation. If we're being completely honest, I didn't even change out of my pajamas that day. I broke into the American comfort food in my suitcase and watched Mulan with my roomies. It was great.

Then today, I treated myself! First, we went to a Thai restaurant for lunch. It was kind of expensive by Chinese standards, but the chicken curry and pineapple fried rice were pretty dang good. After lunch, we went to get our hair washed, and oh my goodness... It was the best thing that's ever happened to me. First they lay you down, wet your hair, and lather you up. Then they rinse and repeat. Then they start massaging your head. Then they move to your neck. Then they massage your arms and hands. Then they flip you over and massage your back. Then they start full-on karate chopping you. Then they take you to a chair and blow-dry and style your hair. And after it's all over, you feel wonderful. 

Noor and I, washed and dried!


So, all in all, not the most productive weekend ever, but definitely one of the funnest. I'm looking forward to many more like it here in China!

Thanks for reading!
Abby


No comments:

Post a Comment